Table of Contents
- Matsumae Park in Matsumae [松前公園]
- Goryokaku Park in Hakodate [五稜郭公園]
- Nijyukkendoro Sakura Namiki(Cherry-blossoms road) in Shin-Hidaka [二十間道路桜並木]
- Maruyama Park/Hokkaido Jingu in Sapporo[円山公園/北海道神宮]
- Moerenuma Park in Sapporo [モエレ沼公園]
- Makomanai Park in Sapporo [真駒内公園]
- Otaru Park in Otaru [小樽公園]
- Noboribetsu Onsen Cherry-tree line in Noboribetsu [登別温泉桜並木]
- Asahiyama Park in Asahikawa [旭山公園]
- Harutori Park in Kushiro [春採公園]
Matsumae Park [松前公園]
This is the most famous sakura site in Hokkaido. There are 250 varieties sakura and more than 10,000 trees. You can see early sakura from the end of April to late flowering sakura in the middle of May.
Matsumae Park is the old castle town in the Edo era where you also visit old temples where is called “Northern Kyoto” and never let you down. This is the place when you come to see Sakura in Japan.
- Take a Tozai-line to Maruyama Park(円山公園)
- How to walk in Matsumae
- Matsumaejo, Matsumae Castle, The Most Northern Castle in Japan
- Matsumae house
- Matsumae Sakura Festival Start on April 29 2015（松前桜祭り）
- Matsumae Park [松前公園] : Cherry Blossoms in Hokkaido
Goryokaku Park [五稜郭公園]
There are 1,600 Somei-yoshino(cherry-blossom) trees in the park. It bloom in the end of April to the beginning of May. This is the very popular sakura site in not only Hakodate also Hokkaido and Japan. You will see a beautiful scenery from Goryokaku Tower. Full view of Goryokaku which is shaped like star makes you more impressive.
When you visit to Hokkaido in this season, you should go to see cherry-blossom of Goryokaku.
From JR Hakodate station
- Take a tram at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku park(五稜郭公園前) and walk 15 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) at at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku(五稜郭) and walk 15 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) at at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
From JR Goryokaku Station
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス)[no.89] at JR Goryokaku st.(JR五稜郭駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
From JR New Hakodate-Hokuto station
- Take a JR train to JR Hakodate(JR函館駅).
- Take a Hakodate-Teisan-Bus(函館帝産バス) at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min. This is a rapid shuttle bus and takes 30 min.
- Take a Hokkaido-Kanko-Bus(北海道観光バス) at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min.
This is a local bus and takes 40 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス)[no.103, no.33, no.130, no.25, no.122] at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min. Or buses from Esashi(江差), Shikabe(鹿部), Setana(瀬棚) bound for Hakodate(函館) is also available.
This is a local bus and takes 45 min.
From Hakodate Airport
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “Non-stop Bus Tobikko(とびっこ) to Goryokaku Area” to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “Rapid Airport-Goryokaku(空港五稜郭快速線) ” to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 30 sec.
From Ferry Terminal
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “No.16(五稜郭経由、日吉営業所前行) ” to Goryokaku(五稜郭) and walk 15 min.
- Hakodate City Art Hall/Hokuyo Archive Museum/Hakodate Museum Parking(函館市芸術ホール・北洋資料館・函館美術館 駐車場)
the first 1 hour 200 yen and 100 yen / 30 min
- Hakodate City Goryokaku Parking(函館市五稜郭観光駐車場)
the first hour 200 yen and 100 yen / 30 min.
- Goryokaku Park [五稜郭公園]: Cherry Blossoms in Hokkaido
- Matsumae and Hakodate announced Sakura Blooming on April 19 and 21, 2015
- Hakodate Magistrate’s Office (函館奉行所/Hakodate Bugyosho)
- Hakodate Goryokaku(函館五稜郭): Historical place and Outstanding Shape
Nijyukkendoro Sakura Namiki(Cherry-blossoms road) [二十間道路桜並木]
This is the longest straight driveway alongside Sakura trees which ranges 7 km long and 36m width. There are 2,200 sakura trees called “Ezo-Yama-zakura(エゾヤマザクラ)”. Somei-yoshino is the most famous sakura tree in Japan as “Ohanami(お花見)”, viewing Sakura.
There is no elegance and traditional taste such as Matsumae and Hakodate. But Ezo-Yamazakura is the most familiar sakura tree in Hokkaido where people talk about “Sakura” which means Ezo-yama-zakura. The sakura trees are growing everywhere in Hokkaido, at the street, park, mountain of course at the private garden.
This road is designated as Best 100 beautiful roads and Best 100 Sakura sights of Japan.
Sakura Festival is held from the beginning of May and more 10 days. It is heavy traffic jam in this season so that you would better go early morning by car. Usually you have to wait parking your car for 30min-1hour or more.
By Bus from Sapporo
- Take a Donan Bus(道南バス) “Rapid Pegasus(高速ペガサス号)” at Sapporo Bus Terminal to Shizunai St. Bus Terminal which takes 2 hours and 30min and transfer a shuttle bus bound for the venue which takes 25min.
By Car From Sapporo
- Take a Do-o Expressway to Tomakomai Higashi I.C. and Hidaka Expressway to Hidaka Atsuga I.C. and route 235
- Free parking
- Parking available for handicapped person’s car
- Nijyukkendoro Sakura Namiki(Cherry-blossoms road): Cherry Blossoms in Shizunai, Hokkaido
- Ryu-unkaku(龍雲閣) in Shizunai, opened in Sakura Festival
Maruyama Park/Hokkaido Jingu [円山公園/北海道神宮]
This is the most popular site for viewing Sakura in Sapporo. Usually from the beginning of May and next 1 week to see.
It is available to have BBQ in the park only these period. Many families and groups are coming and very crowded at the weekend and holiday. It is called “Golden week” in Japan. Everybody goes to see Sakura and other sightseeing site such as Niseko, Shiretoko, Jozankei or Maruyama zoo.
If you stay in Sapporo in this season, you may experience to have a good time with locals who enjoy BBQ in the park.
Moerenuma Park [モエレ沼公園]
This is for family with little children and senior person.
There are a baseball ground, outdoor sports fields, and many fields with play equipments designed by Isamu Noguchi, famous American Sculptor.
Many sakura trees are growing everywhere in the park. Rental bike is also available so that you can enjoy to ride whole the park.
- Take a Toho Line(東豊線) to Kanjo-dori-higashi(環状通東).
- Take a Chuo Bus(中央バス 東69 or 東79) to Moerenuma-Koen Higashi-guchi(モエレ沼公園東口).
- 10 min walk to the Glass Pyramid.
Makomanai Park [真駒内公園]
There are two skate links here. One is Makomanai Ice Arena, another is Makomanai Open Skate Link where was the venues of Sapporo Olympics Game 1972. Some big competitions are held at Makomanai Ice Arena such as NHK Figure Skate Championship.
This is one of the popular Sakura sites in Sapporo. Many locals come to view Sakura and enjoy jogging in the park at the weekend.
- Take a Nanboku-line to Makomanai St. and transfer Jotetsu Bus(じょうてつバス)[南90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 環96] to Uemachi 1 chome(上町１丁目), 4th stop from Makomanai st. for Makomanai Ice Arena and Makomanai Open Skate Link(真駒内競技場前), 6th stop from makomanai st. for Open Skate Link.
- 25min from Makomanai st. to Ice Area by walking.
- 30min from Makomanai st. to Open Skate Link by walking.
Otaru Park [小樽公園]
900 of Somei-yoshino and Ezo-Ymazakura bloom from the beginning of May.
- 15min walk from JR Otaru st.
- Take a Chuo-bus to Hanazono koen-dori(花園公園通) and 5min walk.
- 10min from Otaru I.C. by car
- parking: 25 cars
Noboribetsu Onsen Cherry-tree line [登別温泉桜並木]
- Take a Donan bus at JR Noboribetsu station via Noboribetsu Onsen(登別温泉) to Sanai Hospital(三愛病院) or Utopia stock farm(ユートピア牧場), which takes 7 minutes.