Table of Contents
- About Goryokaku
- Season of cherry blossoms
- Goryokaku Tower(五稜郭タワー)
- Related Articles
- Photos of Cherry blossoms in Goryokaku
Goryokaku(五稜郭) is one of the most important historical place in the Meiji era. Boshin War and Hakodate War took place here. Buyo Enomoto and Toshizo Hijikata fought the last battle with their Shinsengumi troops which was Tokugawa Shogunate police and military force located in Kyoto and dedicated to suppressing anti-Shogunate activities in the Edo period.
After Tokugawa surrendered, the end of Shogunate period, they had to run away to the north of Japan, Hokkaido. They had been staying in Hakodate for some years before under occupation of the Meiji government troops.
Goryokaku is the place where the history and people move drastically in the beginning of the Meiji era. You can see several remains of battles and how Hakodate had flourished at that time.
These legends, Hijikata’s last fighting, has been handed down to people of Hakodate. So that the contest of acting Toshizo Hijikata is held in Goryokaku, the middle of May every year. Participants are supposed to compete how dramatically to perform Hijikata’s death.
The winner gets 100,000 yen prize and he/she can take part in the parade next day as Toshizo Hijikata. This is the most exciting events in Goryokaku and worth looking and why don’t you try your Hijikata?
This is also one of the most famous and beautiful Sakura viewing site next to Matsumae’s one.
The star-shaped cherry blossoms bloom gorgeous. In the winter, it is lighted up at night and you can enjoy mystic Goryokaku floating in the white snow.
From Goryokaku Tower, this is the best view of them, really worth visiting when you stay in Hakodate. Don’t miss it.
Season of Cherry Blossoms
- The end of April to the beginning of May
- April 21 – October 20; 8:00 – 19:00
- October 21 – April 20; 9:00 – 18:00
- 43-9, Goryokaku-cho, Hakodate
Tower Admission Fee
- adults: 900 yen
- child(13-18): 680 yen
- child(7-12): 450 yen
- child(-7): free
From JR Hakodate station
- Take a tram at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku park(五稜郭公園前) and walk 15 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) at at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku(五稜郭) and walk 15 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) at at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
From JR Goryokaku Station
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス)[no.89] at JR Goryokaku st.(JR五稜郭駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
From JR New Hakodate-Hokuto station
- Take a JR train to JR Hakodate(JR函館駅).
- Take a Hakodate-Teisan-Bus(函館帝産バス) at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min. This is a rapid shuttle bus and takes 30 min.
- Take a Hokkaido-Kanko-Bus(北海道観光バス) at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min.
This is a local bus and takes 40 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス)[no.103, no.33, no.130, no.25, no.122] at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min. Or buses from Esashi(江差), Shikabe(鹿部), Setana(瀬棚) bound for Hakodate(函館) is also available.
This is a local bus and takes 45 min.
From Hakodate Airport
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “Non-stop Bus Tobikko(とびっこ) to Goryokaku Area” to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “Rapid Airport-Goryokaku(空港五稜郭快速線) ” to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 30 sec.
From Ferry Terminal
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “No.16(五稜郭経由、日吉営業所前行) ” to Goryokaku(五稜郭) and walk 15 min.
- Hakodate City Art Hall/Hokuyo Archive Museum/Hakodate Museum Parking(函館市芸術ホール・北洋資料館・函館美術館 駐車場)
the first 1 hour 200 yen and 100 yen / 30 min
- Hakodate City Goryokaku Parking(函館市五稜郭観光駐車場)
the first hour 200 yen and 100 yen / 30 min.
- Matsumae and Hakodate announced Sakura Blooming on April 19 and 21, 2015
- Hakodate Magistrate’s Office (函館奉行所/Hakodate Bugyosho)
- Hakodate Goryokaku(函館五稜郭): Historical place and Outstanding Shape
Photos of Cherry blossoms in Goryokaku