Viewing Sakura is not only Kyoto or Tokyo, you will also find more exciting sakura viewing spots in Hokkaido. Fleemy shows you 10 sites for visiting worth.
Matsumae Park [松前公園]
Matsumae park must be the most famous sakura viewing site in Hokkaido. 250 varieties sakura and more than 10,000 trees. You can see the first blooming sakuras from the end of April to the late ones in the middle of May.
Matsumae makes you enjoy with its various sakuras as long as 30 days long.
Matsumae Park has the old castle originally built in the Edo era where you also visit other old temples. Matsumae used to be said “Northern Kyoto” and never let you down.
- How to walk in Matsumae
- Matsumaejo, Matsumae Castle, The Most Northern Castle in Japan
- Matsumae house
- Matsumae Sakura Festival Start on April 29 2015（松前桜祭り）
- Matsumae Park [松前公園] : Cherry Blossoms in Hokkaido
Goryokaku Park [五稜郭公園]
1,600 Somei-yoshino(cherry-blossom) trees in the park.
Bloom in the end of April to the beginning of May. This is one of the most popular sakura viewing site as well as Matsumae park. Not only from Hakodate also from Hokkaido or all the Japan, people come to see a beautiful and outstanding scenery from Goryokaku Tower. As whole viewing for Goryokaku park shaped like a star, which gives you unforgettable moments.
When you visit to Hokkaido in cherry blossom’s season, you should come to the Goryokaku park.
From JR Hakodate station
- Take a tram at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku park(五稜郭公園前) and walk 15 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) at at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku(五稜郭) and walk 15 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) at at JR Hakodate st.(JR函館駅前) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
From JR Goryokaku Station
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス)[no.89] at JR Goryokaku st.(JR五稜郭駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
From JR New Hakodate-Hokuto station
- Take a JR train to JR Hakodate(JR函館駅).
- Take a Hakodate-Teisan-Bus(函館帝産バス) at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min. This is a rapid shuttle bus and takes 30 min.
- Take a Hokkaido-Kanko-Bus(北海道観光バス) at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min.
This is a local bus and takes 40 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス)[no.103, no.33, no.130, no.25, no.122] at JR New Hakodate-Hokuto st.(新函館北斗駅) to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 10 min. Or buses from Esashi(江差), Shikabe(鹿部), Setana(瀬棚) bound for Hakodate(函館) is also available.
This is a local bus and takes 45 min.
From Hakodate Airport
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “Non-stop Bus Tobikko(とびっこ) to Goryokaku Area” to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 7 min.
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “Rapid Airport-Goryokaku(空港五稜郭快速線) ” to Goryokaku Park Entrance(五稜郭公園入口) and walk 30 sec.
From Ferry Terminal
- Take a Hakodate-Bus(函館バス) “No.16(五稜郭経由、日吉営業所前行) ” to Goryokaku(五稜郭) and walk 15 min.
Hakodate City Art Hall/Hokuyo Archive Museum/Hakodate Museum Parking(函館市芸術ホール・北洋資料館・函館美術館 駐車場)
the first 1 hour 200 yen and 100 yen / 30 min
Hakodate City Goryokaku Parking(函館市五稜郭観光駐車場)
- Goryokaku Park [五稜郭公園]: Cherry Blossoms in Hokkaido
- Matsumae and Hakodate announced Sakura Blooming on April 19 and 21, 2015
- Hakodate Magistrate’s Office (函館奉行所/Hakodate Bugyosho)
- Hakodate Goryokaku(函館五稜郭): Historical place and Outstanding Shape
Nijyukkendoro Sakura Namiki(Cherry-blossoms road) [二十間道路桜並木]
The longest straight driveway alongside Sakura trees which ranges 7 km long and 36m width.
There are 2,200 sakura trees called “Ezo-Yama-zakura(エゾヤマザクラ)”. Somei-yoshino is the most famous sakura tree in Japan as “Ohanami(お花見)”, viewing Sakura.
There is less elegance and traditional taste such as Matsumae or Hakodate. But Ezo-Yamazakura is the most familiar sakura tree in Hokkaido.
When people talk about “Sakura” that means about Ezo-yama-zakura. This sakura trees are growing everywhere in Hokkaido, at the street, park, mountain of course in the private garden.
This road is designated as the 100 best beautiful roads and the 100 best Sakura sights in Japan.
The Sakura Festival opens from the beginning of May for 10 days. It is heavy traffic jams in this season so that you would better go early morning if you go by car. Usually you have to wait parking for 30-60 minutes or more.
By Bus from Sapporo
- Take a Donan Bus(道南バス) “Rapid Pegasus(高速ペガサス号)” at Sapporo Bus Terminal to Shizunai St.
By Car From Sapporo
- Take a Do-o Expressway to Tomakomai Higashi I.C. and Hidaka Expressway to Hidaka Atsuga I.C. and route 235
- Free parking
- Parking available for handicapped person’s car
- Nijyukkendoro Sakura Namiki(Cherry-blossoms road): Cherry Blossoms in Shizunai, Hokkaido
- Ryu-unkaku(龍雲閣) in Shizunai, opened in Sakura Festival
Maruyama Park/Hokkaido Jingu [円山公園/北海道神宮]
The most popular site for viewing Sakura in Sapporo. Usually from the beginning of May.
It is available to have BBQ in the park only these period. Many families and groups are coming and very crowded at the weekend and holiday called “Golden week”. Everybody goes to see Sakura and other sightseeing site such as Niseko, Shiretoko, Jozankei or Maruyama zoo.
Moerenuma Park [モエレ沼公園]
This is for family with little children and senior person.
There are a baseball ground, outdoor sports fields, and many fields with play equipments designed by Isamu Noguchi, a famous American Sculptor.
Many sakura trees are growing everywhere in the park. Rental bikes are also available so that you can enjoy to ride in the park.
- Take a Toho Line(東豊線) to Kanjo-dori-higashi(環状通東).
- Take a Chuo Bus(中央バス 東69 or 東79) to Moerenuma-Koen Higashi-guchi(モエレ沼公園東口).
- 10 min walk to the Glass Pyramid.
Makomanai Park [真駒内公園]
There are two stadiums for skating. Makomanai Ice Arena for figure skating, Makomanai Open Skate Link for speed skating. Both were the venues of Sapporo Olympics Game in 1972. Some big competitions are held at Makomanai Ice Arena such as NHK Figure Skate Championship.
This is also a very popular Sakura site in Sapporo. Many locals come to view Sakura and enjoy jogging at the weekend.
- Take a Nanboku-line to Makomanai St. and transfer Jotetsu Bus(じょうてつバス)[南90, 95, 96, 97, 98, 環96] to Uemachi 1 chome(上町１丁目), 4th stop from Makomanai st. for Makomanai Ice Arena and Makomanai Open Skate Link(真駒内競技場前), 6th stop from makomanai st. for Open Skate Link.
- 25min from Makomanai st. to Ice Area by walking.
- 30min from Makomanai st. to Open Skate Link by walking.
Otaru Park [小樽公園]
900 Somei-yoshino and Ezo-Ymazakura bloom from the beginning of May.
- 15min walk from JR Otaru st.
- Take a Chuo-bus to Hanazono koen-dori(花園公園通) and 5min walk.
- 10min from Otaru I.C. by car
- parking: 25 cars
Noboribetsu Onsen Cherry-tree line [登別温泉桜並木]
- Take a Donan bus at JR Noboribetsu station via Noboribetsu Onsen(登別温泉) to Sanai Hospital(三愛病院) or Utopia stock farm(ユートピア牧場), which takes 7 minutes.