Motomachi Park in Hakodate
Motomachi Park(元町公園) is located in the foot of Mt.Hakodate, the top of Motoizaka Slope. This is the place where the building named Hakodate was here before Muromachi era(1336–1573). It’s a long long time ago. ‘Hako’ means Box and ‘Date’ means Building. After that, Hakodate Hachiman Shrine was settled here and also placed a guarding station by Matsumae Clan. In the late Edo period, Hakodate magistrate’s office was here and after that, the former Hokkaido government office Hakodate branch was here. This place has been always roling as the central of Politics in Hokkaido. There is the former Public Hall of Hakodate Ward behind the park and the former British Consulate just in front. Many other famous and historical building and place are around this park. If you get tired due to hard walking, get some rest in Motomachi park. this is a nice and beautiful view of Hakodate Bay Area.
Other historical buildings
- The Former Hakodate Branch Office of Hokkaido Government / Museum of Photography / Tourist Information
- The Former Public Hall of Hakodate Ward
- Soma Company Building(相馬株式会社)
- The Former Soma Residence (旧相馬邸)
- The Former British Consulate(旧英国領事館)
- Hakodate City Museum of Northern Peoples(函館市北方民族資料館)
Take a tram to Suehirocho and walk 5 minutes.